Scott Borchetta, who ironically was my former record promoter under Bruce Shindler for MTM Records, hired Rick Barker as his first record promoter for Big Machine. Later, when Rick founded his own marketing and consulting firm, his first client was Sony Music Nashville. His marketing tactics have been featured in Billboard Magazine among others. He is the author of the e-book '$150,000 Music Degree', the course 'Social Media For Music' and the mastermind behind 'Music Industry Blueprint'. As you can see on his website at www.RickBarker.com, he is also extremely generous with his free resources and hosts his own podcast.
We've worked with the same people from time to time. and have become friends these recent years.His personal story of living and growing as a human being commands a ton of respect on all levels. I trust him, and what's more, dear voices, you can take his advice to the bank.
PLEASE NOTE: Our chat contains too much info for one episode, so I split it into two. Find part 2 of our interview at this link.
Some of the things we covered:
- How Taylor Swift got him interested in her artist career; Rick's work with Big Machine.
- Artist development includes communication skills.
- Rick's view of the importance of vocal health and vocal training for successful careers.
- The mindshift necessary... from hobbyist to serious artist.
- Rick's strategy of interaction for music business success... how musicians, songwriters, vocalists, social media masters can engage and help each other.
- The mistake of not registering your music. There is now $1.6 billion of unclaimed music royalties.
- Steps to take for studying and developing multiple streams of monetary transactions.
- Smart places to prioritize and invest your money in your career.
- The importance of processing mechanical and sync licenses.
- What major labels are looking for, what they are good and bad at doing. 360 deals.
- How money flows to artists and labels. How to create a win-win.
- TV talent shows and specific strategic steps you can take to make them work for you.
- The importance of songwriting.
- We discussed pop artist icon Mat Kearney and new country artist Preston James.
- The importance of patience and not rushing the process.
Find Rick at www.RickBarker.com. You'll see his social networking links there as well.
Find part 2 of our interview here.