Today's post is my audio interview with Dr. Dwaine Allison, chiropractor and wellness physician. You may notice that I’m sounding unusually nasal… when I recorded the interview I was just getting over bad cold! You can enjoy that adventure in respiratory ailment at my previous post Cold Cough, Laryngitis! 9 Day Journal of a Desperate VocalCoach
- Dr. Allison's beginning in music before becoming chiropractor
- How chiropractor and vocal coach got together for synergy and mutual benefit.
- How Dr. Allison's chiropractic and wellness work helps the voice. He assesses, recommends changes and improves the general health of the body which houses the voice.
- The 7 pillars of wellness he addresses: Exercise, Posture, Nutrition, Hydration, Rest and relaxation, Mental state, Neurological condition.
- Assessment of the patient to determine strategy of improvement.
- Getting rid of bad habits, unloading baggage, taking your foot of the brake so you can go forward. Checking posture, and why both chiropractor and vocal coach do this.
- Windows to your health that Dr. Allison checks, including the vital state of your posture. What forward leaning posture does to sabotage health, just as it sabotages the voice by interfering with open throat and breath control.
- How Dr. Allison works to change alignment. Strategies in addition to chiropractic that he uses including frequency therapies and chi gong.
- We discussed the diaphragm and the lungs, also the torso, pelvic, cervical and thoracic vertebrae.
- We got into the trigeminal nerve, the jaw including tension in the platysma and how to release it.
- He takes us through a few wonderful, very effective stretches to counteract specific areas of tension. You'll find yourself moving with the discussion!
- The essential change tool of awareness.
- Feldenkrais and Alexander technique and how they can increase muscular efficiency.
About Dr. Allison:
- Acupuncture (both with and without needles)
- Treating "The Injured Musician"
- Medical Qi Gong
- "Athletes In Industry",
- Corporate Wellness & Accident Prevention ... and so much more
Need your help:If you like this podcast, please leave a review - it would be extremely helpful, especially at iTunes!
- open your iTunes program
- search for "All Things Vocal", click on that
- see the link to ratings and reviews. Thanks!