I've been asked several times this week by singers if I thought they should enter auditions for one of the national talent competitions like American Idol. It is a common question for all contemporary commercial vocal coaches, and one you may be asking, too.
Some Things to Consider:
- They aren't necessarily looking for the 'best voice'. They are looking for particular types of cast members for a dramatic reality show.
- If you think these contests are fair, you are going to be in for a shock.
- The contracts suck.
- You rarely go on to any commercial success even if you win.
- The type of voice that wins these contests communicates gladiator-like ear-jabs focusing on the high notes, not messages.
- They absolutely do not care about the contestants' well being. Even the heartless conditions in which initial auditions are held often have cameras lurking to catch tears.