Just wanted you to know I've had to prioritize my time and just did not have a moment for a blog post the last few days. I just did a songwriter round performance with two amazing vocal athletes
Leslie Ellis and Holland Stroud, and had to show myself respectable:) I am trying to practice what I preach, so let me preach a little:
I rehearsed for about two weeks prior to my gig. I practiced this way:
- Vocal exercises... 30 - 45 minutes
- Full-voice singing ... one or two hours of singing songs I thought I might do.
- Physical exercise... 45 min to 1 hr, making sure to physically work out strenuously 3 or 4 times a week (many thanks to my trainer Ricky Harris) in order to strengthen my core, which is my center of vocal power. Oh, yeah, and in all honesty, so I look better, too (it's a girl thing... and a media world out there!)
- I hadn't sung out publicly in a while, not using the full volume of my voice, so I needed to get my vocal stamina up by literally strengthening muscles of my vocal and breathing apparatus.
- I have made a quiet vow to myself that if I sing in public, I will sing as if it is the most important audience I have ever sung to. Every listener deserves the best from me, and I want to make sure they leave happy they came.
- Uh... OK, I have to demonstrate the effectiveness of my Power, Path & Performance method:)
- I am always, always researching "what works". So I can share it with you...