To illustrate what I'm talking about, take a look at the following artists' video performances. This works in any contemporary genre, whether you're a rock, country, r&b, gospel, jazz singer... whatever. Free the jaw and free the voice.
- Jennifer Nettles singing "Baby Girl"
- Whitney Houston singing "One Of Those Days"
- Andrea Bocelli singing "Melodramma"
- Jason Mraz singing "I'm Yours"
- Faith Hill singing "When The Lights Go Down"
- Bono singing "Vertigo"
- Christina Aguilera singing "Hurt"
- Eva Cassidy singing "Fields Of Gold"