- Don't lift your chin! Float your chin levelly when singing or speaking.
- Don't pull your head straight back!
- Do pull your head back slightly to the side, cocking your head at a small tilt as you do.
- Do lift your head by lengthening your spine, which carries your head up.
- Do balance your head over your tailbone. This is farther back than most people carry their heads.
- But...don't bend your head back in such a way that something you were carrying on your head would fall backwards. In fact, practice by putting something on your head as you sing or speak. It should ride along, not falling forwards or backwards.
- Do use your lyric to pull ... not push ... your voice out.
Judy Rodman - All Things Vocal Blog
Training & insights for stage and studio singers, speakers, vocal coaches and producers from professional vocal coach and author of "Power, Path & Performance" vocal training method. Download All Things Vocal podcast on your fav app!