Yes, you can eat before singing...
- if you haven't eaten enough. You need to eat an easy-to-digest but nutrient-packed meal or snack, or you will not have the breath support or energy you need for performance.
- if you eat early enough so that the food has shifted lower in your system and will not tend to make you feel stuffed, interfering with breathing.
- if you note in your own personal experience how eating before singing affects you, and you are confident it won't be a problem.
- if you eat too much or eat things that are hard to digest, diverting energy to your belly instead of your singing.
- if eating makes you sleepy. Again, this has a lot to do with what you've chosen to eat.
- if you tend to hunch over after eating because you have eaten too much. This will affect your breath.
- if you eat foods that bring on acid reflux, or mucous.
- if what you eat catches in your throat (for some people, foods like peanuts, popcorn and chips can present problems.)