What causes unwanted vocal tone?
How vocal resonance is created:
- The vocal cords vibrate the larynx.
- Sound waves coming off the larynx go through the channel to bounce against other tissue surfaces and cavities in the throat, mouth, nose and some sources say even down the trachea.
- These alternative resonation zones add their own character to the sound waves.
- If the channel is open, more vibrations can reach more surfaces, and the resulting sound gathers and comes out the mouth much richer than when the channel is constricted anywhere.
Tips to open your throat and gain resonance you never thought possible:
- Record yourself
- Open your nose
- Activate your eyes
- Articulate in front, not back, of mouth
- Make chewing circles
- Morph vowels
- Imagine ping pong ball
- Keep head over tailbone
- Pull with mic
- 6 way inside stretch from Power, Path & Performance training
- Control breath
- Let me know how you do with these suggestions by clicking the comment link.