First of all, it is VERY hard to get a legitimate record label interested in signing you as recording artist. If someone promises you otherwise, RUN, do not walk, and slam the door behind you. With that understanding...
Before approaching a record label as an artist, you should understand two simple things.
- Record labels, like all viable businesses, want to make a profit.
- You want to make a deal that will profit you, the artist.
Look for that win-win deal, which will result in a prosperous label AND artist!
- Your own money to fund your recording project - and possibly fund your promotion & marketing.
- Your own significant, real and growing fan base.
- Your unique, high level and marketable body of work and talent in the studio and on stage.